It was yet another pulsating tournament that saw end to end action as the 2017 FFA National Futsal Championships came to a close on finals day at the Sydney Olympic Park Sports Centre on Sunday.

The week long tournament, hailed as one of the best in Australian Futsal history, had everything from last second goals to penalty shootouts as state team representatives from across the nation all locked horns throughout the day which also included what was a gripping and thrilling AWD final.

While finally the 2017 Powerchair Championship was also on show as the Newcastle Jets defeated last year’s Champions Brisbane Roar 1-0.

Official Match Reports:

Under 12 Boys

Football NSW Lightning 2-5 Solomon Islands

It was mayhem once again as the tiny pacific island of the Solomon Islands came away with a famous victory over the Football NSW Lightning, winning 5-2.

It was the Lightning that struck first but the Solomons were quick to equalise and overturn the score to take the lead.

The Blues wouldn’t lie down and found an equaliser themselves before some quick-fire goals from the Solomon Islands secured them the title.

Callum Powell and Stefano Rossello were the scorers for the Lightning while Henry Anderson Doraouou, Owen Bunaboe, Jason Timi and a brace from the exciting Sammy Jnr Lalo brought the trophy home for the Solomons.


Under 13 Girls

Football NSW Country North 3-4 (AET) Football NSW Metro Thunder

Extra time was needed to separate the Football NSW Country North and Football NSW Thunder, with the latter finding a winner in the added minutes.

The Country North team seemed on their way to victory with a 3-1 half time lead but the Thunder dug deep to send the game to extra time where they scored to win the Championship.

Jannali Hunter scored two for the Country North team while Alannah Russell got the other.

For the Thunder, Nysa Castillo, Isabella Chidiac and  Pene Bonovas, who scored a brace, picked up the goals.


Under 13 Boys

FF South Australia 1–4 Football NSW Metro Thunder

Football NSW Metro Thunder secured the title after over coming a spirited FF SA 4-1.

It was an intense first half with the sides separated by the odd goal as the Thunder finished the first half 2-1 in the lead.

The Thunder added another two goals in the second half to close the game out 4-1.

Special mention must go to the supporters of both teams who made for a fantastic atmosphere.

Joel Bertlossio scored two for the Thunder While Dylan Chau and Peter Grozos scored the other two.

Raphael Borges scored the lone goal for the South Australians.


Under 14 Boys

Solomon Islands 3–8 Football NSW Metro Thunder

It was a high scoring affair between the Solomon Islands and Football NSW Metro Thunder, where the Thunder came out on top 8-3.

The Thunder started the brighter in this one and took a two-goal lead into the break.

It was the Blues who added to their total before the Solomons opened right up.

What ensued was a goal fest and some great futsal by both teams with the Solomons coming short.

Emmanuel Tzanakes and Zachary Sapsford each scored two for the Thunder while Ethan De Melo, Jacob Meniti, Lachlan Sepping and Adam Strasser got the others.

For the Solomon Islands, Sammy Laui scored one and Travis Sau got a brace.


Under 15 Girls

Football NSW Country North 0–4 Football NSW Metro Lightning

Football NSW Metro Lightning proved far too strong for Football NSW Country North, coming away with a 4-0 victory.

It was the Lightning that started the better and Monique Holder confirmed that, smashing the ball into the back of the net after some nice build up play.

Two minutes before the break it was 2-0 to the Lightning. Again Holder was involved, setting up Holly Newman to place the ball into the goal.

Newman then picked up a brace in the second half, making the score 3-0.

Country pushed hard to get something from the match but couldn’t get them selves back into the contest.

Natalie Vukovic confirmed the win for the Lightning with a last second goal to make it 4-0.


Under 15 Boys

Football NSW Metro Thunder 4–0 Queensland Metro

Football NSW Metro Thunder took on the Queensland Metro and took the Championship in a dominant 4-0 performance.

With five minutes to go in the first half, the Thunder hit the lead. Andrew Holder blasted a free kick toward goal and with the aid of a heavy deflection, the ball hit the back of the net.

Only two minutes later and it was two for the Thunder. Some mesmerising skill by Daniel Goni saw him dribble by two defenders, before passing the keeper and taping the ball home.

Thunder captain Angelo Kalamvokis made it three shortly after the break, placing the ball through the Queensland Metro goalkeeper’s legs.

With the Maroons pushing the extra man forward, it allowed Goni space to slot home his second and the Thunders fourth.


Under 16 Boys

Football NSW Metro Thunder 1–0 FF South Australia

In one of the best games of the day, the Football NSW Thunder pipped South Australia by one goal, right in the dying moments of the match.

It was the Thunder that had the better of the first half with a few guilt edged opportunities.

SA keeper Nicholas Scalzi was proving hard to beat, saving attempt after attempt and keeping the scores locked at 0-0.

Somewhat against the run of play, SA almost took the lead through captain Louis Nye as his free kick clattered against the post.

It was back and forth in the second half with both teams having their opportunities.

With less than 30 seconds on the clock Adam Nisbett took the ball down the left and sent a rocket into the top corner to hand the Thunder the title.

A fine goal to cap off what was a fantastic game of Futsal.


Under 17 Girls

Football NSW Thunder 2–0 Football NSW Lightning

Both Football NSW Metro teams clashed in the 17 girls final as the Thunder overcame the Lightning 2-0.

The first half was a seesawing battle with both teams creating opportunities to hit the front.

Three minutes before the break, Georgia Koutzoumis broke the deadlock, slotting away a penalty into the top corner following the Lightning’s 6th foul.

The second half saw the Lightning come out firing but goalkeeper Ellessia Rinaldi was having none of it, making some crucial saves for her team.

Danika Matos made the title safe for the Thunder with a neat finish with just under a minute left on the clock.


Open AWD Mixed

Football NSW Thunder 4–0 Queensland Metro

In a pulsating match up, Football NSW Thunder came away with a 4-0 win against Queensland Metro.

The Thunder opened the scoring in the seventh minute after Mitchell Forrest did well to stick a foot in and poke the ball into the goal.

Josh Long’s skill for Queensland Metro was on fine display as the number nine danced through the Thunder defence.

Some strong defending from the front saw Nathan Nunn capitalise on a Queensland error to stab the ball home for a 2-0 Thunder lead.

The end-to-end action continued in this one as both teams raised the intensity.

Long was everywhere for the Maroons and looked most likely to make something happen for them.

Thunder captain Zac Jones was instrumental in defence for the Blues stopping countless attacks.

A swift counter attack by the Thunder saw Brad Southwell calmly tuck the ball home for a 3-0 lead.

Captain fantastic Jones himself then got onto the scoresheet after a great team move to make the score 4-0.


Under 19 Womens

Football NSW Metro Thunder 1–0 Football NSW Metro Lightning

A heart breaking defeat for a spirited Football NSW Metro Lightning as the Football NSW Metro Thunder stole a buzzer beating victory.

It was a tight first half with the Lightning playing the entire match with a 5th man following the sending off of their goalkeeper in the semi finals.

It was the Lightning who probably had the better of the chances in the first half but they were unable to capitalise.

Rhianna Pollicina came closest to breaking the deadlock in the second half but her powerful shot cannoned back off the cross bar.

Moving into the last minute, the Lightning had a three on one break with only the keeper to beat but they were unable to beat Tahlor Thackray.

Thackray then launched a long ball forward as Pollicina broke through and somehow squeezed the ball into the goal with only two second left on the clock to secure a Thunder victory.


Under 19 Mens

Football NSW Metro Thunder 8-1 Football NSW Metro Lightning

The final game of the day saw another Football NSW Metro derby as the Thunder and Lightning did battle.

The match got off to a frantic pace with both sides having opportunities within the first minute.

Michael Borg then showed some class, flicking the ball over his marker, shooting toward goal, only for the ball to rebound out off the post.

Borg was at it again down the left, taking on his marker and playing the ball square as Dion Sterjovski battled his way through to put the ball into the back of the net and the Lightning in front.

Only a minute later and the Thunder were on level terms.

A well-worked free kick fell the way of Matthew Mazevski who volleyed the ball home.

Samuel De Oliveira soon had the Thunder in front with a perfectly placed shot into the top corner of the goal.

Michael Kouta could’ve doubled the Thunder’s advantage but his shot came back off the post.

With the break only minutes away, Jordan Pyne and Kouta combined expertly as Pyne came in to finish and extend the lead to 3-1.

The Lightning came out firing in the second period, looking to half the deficit immediately.

Mazevski could’ve had his second but well placed shot hit the upright.

Borg was the most dangerous player on the field and he almost had the Lightning back in the game with a fantastic volley.

Again the Thunder players combined well and this time Anthony Haddad rounded up the move, making the score 4-1.

Mazevski made it 5-1, picking up his own rebound from his initial shot to score his second of the game.

With the fifth man out, the Thunder took advantage as goalkeeper Conor Irwin struck from his own goal.

Harrison Bagot made it seven after a swift counter attack, before Haddad got his second and stretched the score to 8-1.


Powerchair Championships

Brisbane Roar 0–1 Newcastle Jets

The Newcastle Jets and Brisbane Roar played out a thrilling contest in the Powerchair final, with the Jets winning 1-0.

In a tight affair, neither side could break the deadlock before the break as the sides went in locked at 0-0.

It was much the same in the second period but the Jets found a goal midway through the second half to put them in front.

The Roar pushed hard in the final stages but some heart stopping defending meant the Jets would take the title.

-By FFA National Futsal Championships Writer Nikola Pozder